Sunday, January 25, 2009

Political Partisanship

Alright, off we go. I was going to start with a post on Religion because I have a lot to say, but I've had this nagging itch on the back of my neck lately and I just need to scratch it. Besides, might be a bit much to come right out of the gate with all my guns a-blazing, huh?

Okay, so first off, let me set the stage before I tear down the wall. I'm an independent - not a democrat and not a republican. I'm one of a few that can actually say that and mean it. I think most "independents" are in fact frauds. They say they're on the fence because they want to feel that their vote is a deciding vote - like they matter more in the end because they are on the fence - they're the ultra-cool "swing" voter. But in fact, most people who claim independent, in my mind, actually know who they are going to vote for each election. And usually, they are loyal to one side or the other. They say they're not sure, and you ask them why and the crap that flows out of them makes me want to vomit in my own mouth.

So then there's me - an independent. Not only that, I've been completely disenchanted with the entire political party system since I was first given the chance to vote. I really began to lose faith that we were capable of being a country that could elect a president that really had the people's best interests in mind - a gov't for the people, by the people, blah blah. It's been a gov't of and for the corporations. Anyhoo, that's not what I want to talk about. Now you know my history - and that's worth something.

Here's what's been rubbing me - partisanship. You know, maybe you're one of them! These people that somehow feel that being LOYAL to a party, be it Republican or Democrat, is worth something. How can anyone go into a national election and have already made up their mind? And when the other party wins, these people get bitter - resentful - they carry this overwhelming pile of stinking pessimism and cynicism. I frequent sports message boards, and a political thread started up one day (as it often does) - most of the fans on this board, apparently, are die hard republicans. The post was filled with comments like "Don't worry, the economy is in the crapper but HOPE will save us" and "Obama cares more for his Muslim buddies than Americans" and that sort of hoopla.

I just don't get this. People are bitter and throw out ignorant statements of resentment because they feel that somehow they lost? Their party lost? Let me ask you - what does being loyal to a party mean? I think it's a sense of bully-ish pride that makes some people do this. It's fear - they feel comfort in numbers - they stick together and root as a group for THEIR guy or THEIR gal. It's like they're rooting for a sports team or something. Only, you know what - they're really not.

Supporting a political party in our country is UNPATRIOTIC. There I said it. You're doing me, and ever other citizen in this country an EXTREME INJUSTICE.

How can you go into an election and blindly say you will support whomever "your party" offers up? What if they offer up a dunce? You'll vote for 'em - cause you're loyal. Loyal to f*cking me over! You owe me more. I deserve for you to take two steps back, and actually use your brain. Listen to what every candidate has to say - read up on 'em - go online and study their history - what they've done and why. Try to understand what they're bringing to the table, what they support - what their plans are - short and long-term. Make some assessment on how you think each person would lead - think about what's important to you. See how that maps to each candidate and then go out and vote.

It kills me to talk to these Republicans right now that still think Bush was a great president. Seriously?! That just screams "I'm an absolutely idiot!" It means you aren't paying f*cking (not sure if I should swear on this blog yet) attention! You can classify yourself as a fiscal conservative - you can say that abortion is on your sh*tlist - you can say you believe in small government - that you don't believe in the death penalty - that you think national security is more important than social security or health care. It's important that you understand what your own priorities are - but you know what? That doesn't make you a Republican or Democrat. Seriously, does every candidate a party has ever offered match your profile perfectly? So much so, that you would just blindly say you will support whatever clown they offer up? Honestly?!

It's ok for you to say that your own wealth is important (greedy bastards!) or that you want a government to control spending - and you know what? This, in your mind, might classify you as a Republican - but then if so, even YOU have to think Bush was an utter failure! He spent way too much, unwisely - he took a huge surplus and put us in debt well beyond belief in a war that wasn't intelligent. Then when we needed to conserve, he gave money back to the people instead of asking them to save. He is a failure.

For this past election - did you truly research about both McCain and Obama? Did you do what I said above - put in the work to evaluate both candidates openly? Too many people I know did not. They voted with their party, and every time I chatted with them, all I got back was ignorance in their response - they took what they've been fed. They read their partisan news sources or listened to their partisan radio shows and spouted off the blather that they knew - to prove their point - to justify their standing.

Trust me - you're not any stronger because you're part of a political party. No matter what you're think, you're weak. You're lazy - you have no mind of your own - be independent. Stand up and truly make your vote worth something. You owe it to yourself and you owe it to me. You really do. And if the candidate you end up supporting in the end loses, turn the page. Support the one that didn't. Why? Because conceptually don't you want what's best for this country?

If you're a die hard Republican right now, would you rather Obama fail, let us all down so you can feel proud that you were right? That Democrats ARE actually horrible and not fit to lead? And so that the candidate you offer up in 4 years will win? Or do you want to see a President do well for the people.

Say, hypothetically, Obama turns around the economy quite a bit. He puts plans in place to energize the job market - we get moving on initiatives in energy, health care - unemployment drops, the deficit comes down a bit and people are able to afford their houses and their bills - the recession ends. Would you clap your hands, stand up and applaud him and vote for him in 2012? Or would you still retreat back to your slimy little Republican stronghold and come up with excuses why it wasn't his doing and why your guy or your gal would do better?

If he does what's good for this country, and you stand against him, you're standing against this country. That's my take. That's how I judge it - I don't care which party is in office. I'm not loyal to either. If the person in office - this person that's leading us - has a great term and things are positive, I'm happy. I'm really happy - again, it's a government for the people - all the people. And when that leaders screws things up and puts our country in a bad place, they should be criticized and we should look for something better.

But no, I'm really in the minority here - too many people vote with their allegiance. You wanna be loyal - be loyal to your family - be loyal to your friends - heck, be loyal to your favorite baseball or football team. Please stop screwing us over with your blind partisanship. It's such a royal piece of stinking feces. Seriously, every time I talk to you, if you open your mouth and start to blab about your support of your party and you spout off nonsense about how Liberals don't know how to run the economy or don't believe in national defense - or how Republicans don't care about social issues and are all about the military - you know what I'm thinking? Idiot. Idiot. Moron. Dumbass. I can't take you seriously. Not that you really care what I think - I know that. But hey, you came to read my blog, remember?

So there, I'm done with this for now. I get fired up because I care. You should too. And if you really do, you'll become a true independent and vote for what's best for this country from here on out.

7 comments:

  1. I agree, "DARKRIDERNINE" (I'm going to Google that when I'm done leaving this comment).

    Couple of quick points... partisanship is ugly and exacerbated by our electoral system and the government-media complex. We need true electoral reform which will move us away from the current political duopoly which is reinforced by campaign financing laws. We need to abandon the "first past the post" elections where it makes sense.

    I would definitely classify myself as an independent. Straight-ticket voting is loathsome. At one point, I vowed to never vote for another Republican or Democrat, but have found this to be silly as well. I lean towards third-party candidate because I feel they are generally the best candidates. But, I did vote for both Republicans and Democrats in the 2008 elections.

    Finally, I agree with you on Bush on almost all counts. He was an antithetical Republican on many issues. I'm still trying to figure this one out, but blame the Project for a New American Century for a lot of what transpired in the last eight years. They are Leon Trotsky in Ronald Reagan's clothes. But, I can't agree with you on blaming Bush for the current economic crisis. This is a long time coming and cooks have been cooking this one up in the kitchen.

    Look forward to keeping my eye out here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read that Limbaugh said on-air the following words: "I want him to fail." This is a sickness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, since I like nothing better than a good argument, I'm going to play devil's advocate. Maybe, just maybe, people vote Republican because that candidate is more inline with their belief system. Couldn't it be as simple as all that? I don't think it's fair or right to insinuate just because people have voted party lines that they aren't thinking. I voted Republican every time except this election. Not because I'm a greedy bastard or because I wasn't thinking, but because that's what made sense to me.

    Let me ask back at you, would you EVER consider voting Republican? For real? I doubt it. Maybe you wouldn't vote Democrat either, if you didn't like the candidate, but when it comes down to it, one of those candidates will win. Sure, you can always vote independent, but most people pick the lesser of two evils. It doesn't make them stupid, or uneducated, it might just mean that the things that are important to them are different than the ones that are important to you.

    As for now, every American should want to see Obama succeed, because that means that we succeed as a country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caba,

    I get what you're saying. I admit that I would most likely never, ever, ever vote republican because the basic gop platform is not in line with my basic beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Devil's advocates are welcome here. I wouldn't have started this blog if I couldn't take someone else's opinions. That's my point - I want to engage with people on topics that really matter - not bullsh*t.

    What I have such a hard time believing is that any one person can be that much aligned with a single party that they will blindly support whomever that party throws out there without considering the alternative.

    My real world example: even if the approach and stances that you would deem "Republican" align with what you believe more than not - if you evaluated both candidates against that set, it wouldn't shock me to find that in this past election you would benefit more under Obama against your beliefs than McCain. Take two examples: taxes and national defense. If you don't believe in getting your taxes raised to support those in more need or to fund programs you'd probably classify yourself as a Republican. Same would go if you're in favor of strong national standing and defense. Those are two "stereotypical" positions on those issues.

    However, I think that if you read through all the info on both candidates, you might find that you'd actually benefit more under what Obama was planning. You will actually get more money back under Obama's tax plan than McCain's. And in terms of national standing, having a president reach out a hand and get the world to work with us and restore our reputation in the world will actually improve our security, not threaten it.

    I know several people in my family that swore Republican up and down every election. And in 2008, some of them actually did some research and took off the bias-glasses that knocked down the stereotypes and voted for Obama. When I asked why, they reiterated points like I made above - that they didn't change their position on issues - but that they believed Obama would provide more benefit to them in the things that mattered. That's a true independent.

    If you've already made up your mind about 2012, you're failing us...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll admit that I'm fairly certain about 2012, that I cannot see any value in a republican administration in 2012. Am I a seer? No. Am I willing to consider a conservative candidate? Sure. Am I even willing to see the democrats lose ground in congress? Yes, I am. I'm even willing to be wrong -- seeing Obama talk to an Arabic news station gave me a little bit of a twinge of fear. Talk about breaking down a wall!

    But, you know, I've spent eight years complaining about Bush (and not just because it was fashionable, let's face it) and it's good to see some fresh ideas, and it feels good to have voted for someone who actually won.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think too that the root issue here is not "voting Republican" or "voting Democrat" but the inherent laziness and indifference most people/voters exhibit when they blindly support one party because they claim to be "Liberal" or "Conservative." The problem is that many people have little inclination to spend even a modest amount of time actually researching the candidates, platforms, etc. Just plain laziness...it's easier to be spoon-fed, and this doesn't only apply to choosing who to vote for. It seems like it permeates everything these days...and that's sad.

    ReplyDelete