Monday, January 26, 2009

In the Moment

So, here's what I was thinking about today for a bit - how do you know how you'll react in a given situation when forced to act without thought. It's kinda like the fight or flight, only it doesn't have to have stress at the root. I started down this thought-train and ended up in all kinds of cool places so I wanted to share what's in my mind.

My example: yesterday I was playing a competitive league touch football game. In the middle of the game at some point, I'm blocking this d-lineman as he's rushing and he jumps in the air to try to block our quarterback's pass. He's up in the air for what - about 2-3 seconds? During that time, I don't have a lot of time to put a string of thoughts together. What I'm faced with, interestingly enough, is a decision. When he's up there do I get my arms into his chest and push him back, where he will clearly flip backwards in the air and land directly on his back and head, or do I back off, keep my hands on him and guide him down and then continue to block him?

I didn't prepare myself for this situation - it's not like I sat around and thought up the scenario and decided what I would do so it was input to my brain at that one moment. I "reacted" to the moment. Subconsciously. He went up, my arms went on him and he went down - on his feet. Something in me made the internal decision not to lay him out. I could have - it would not have been a cheap play - totally within the league rules - guys do it all the time on the field - it's been done to me. But for some reason, I didn't do it.

No killer instinct some might say. I'm not generally an aggressive person - those that know me, if asked what they thought I might do, would most likely describe it as it happened. But, given the choice, I admit, I'm pretty sure I would not choose to willingly do that to someone because the chance of hurting someone isn't worth winning the game to me. But in the moment - in that moment, I didn't know what I would do. And now I do. So does my subconscious always follow my conscious? Was it predetermined somehow that I was going to act that way because if given the choice I would most likely have chosen not to?

So I started thinking about other situations like it. I've only been in a fight once in my life. When I was in middle school - I was walking out of school at the end of the day with my best friend. Two guys that had been picking on him here and there the past week popped out of the bushes and attacked him. A punch was thrown at him from one of the guys. As the second guy took one step, I reacted with a punch in his face. No time to think. It just happened. I was aggressive in the only time I've ever been put to the test. but then again I was in like 7th grade or something.

So I started thinking - what if on that same football field yesterday, one of my teammates was cheap shotted by a guy on their team - say a blind-sided blow to the head as he was walking away from the play. What would I do? Do I know? Can I predict this? Even if I think about it and make up my mind about what I'd LIKE to do - would I actually do it? I think I'd go after the guy - I think I'd get on him and defend my friend. But why? Is it because I'd want my friend to know I have his back? Is it because I'd somehow want to know inside that my friends have my back? Is it because of loyalty or friendship? Would I do it for a stranger?

So then I started thinking - ok, so for those of you that are pretty sure you might not confront violence with retaliated violence in that situation - how about this one. What if you're out with your wife somewhere in a bar or something. Some dude, drunk or otherwise, spills a beer all over your wife - your wife turns and calls him a jerk - and he reaches out and shoves her to the ground. There you are - there he is - there's your wife on the floor. What happens? Would you go after the guy? Would you just yell at him but not react in violence? Would you tend to your wife and avoid the confrontation altogether? Now let's make it complicated - what would your WIFE want you to do? How well do you know your wife? Do you think she'd find safety and security knowing you would stand up to anyone that threatened her - or would she be proud of your non-violence?

So here's where I think I am on this. I used to believe that I had some sort of internal morality code - guidelines I live my life by - that would somehow extend into my subconscious. That I could somehow shape how I might react on the fly by my actions when given the chance to think. But now I've changed my mind. I think it's a completely separate and independent thing that happens when you aren't making a conscious choice. I don't think you can control it.

I think I know how I'd react to those above situations - you might know me and think you know how I'd react as well - but what's crazy is that I've surprised myself throughout my life in situations where I've been "In the Moment". Does every time I react to a situation have an affect on future circumstances? I think I'd like to somehow take control of it - to shape my subconscious for the future, but I honestly don't believe I can do it - or predict what would happen, despite what I've done before.

I'm so fascinated about what I'd do given these crazy scenarios that I think about them all the time - and when one happens, I can't help but wonder why it went down the way it did. Was my reaction based on something from my past or can my brain process the signals and make a decision that fast?

All I know is, I'm still learning about myself. I have a feeling I'll react to those instant moments in many ways that I'll look back on and feel proud - but there may be just as many that I may regret...time will tell.

9 comments:

  1. I know for sure that I would NOT push the guy to the ground. The reason? Do unto others as you would have other do unto you. I wouldn't want the dude tossing me, no matter how much it helped his team, so I wouldn't do it to him. Especially in our touch football league where we play for fun! If we were playing for a $50,000 trophy, then I might be a little more intense, but not Sundays in the JFL.

    As for protecting my wife, you may call me a pansy, but I'd first help Denise off the ground, then I'd get up in the dude's face and tell him sternly to back off. I would NOT want to escalate the confrontation, but that's who I am. When I asked D what she would expect of me, she said exactly that. In fact, she said she would be appalled if I came out swinging because that's not the guy she married.

    To me, it comes down to my concept of a universal morality. I think that no matter what you believe, there is wrong and there is right. There is a gray area, but it's VERY small, almost non-existent. People can justify to themselves that they are doing something right, even though it is, IMO, wrong. It doesn't make it right. It just allows the person to feel they aren't doing something wrong.

    In my view, punching a drunk dude is wrong. Period. Even if he knocks my wife over in his drunken stupidity. So I won't do it. I could knock his ass right out by telling myself that I was justified in defending my wife or my honor, but it is STILL wrong.

    That's my belief and I'm sticking to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with D. I said the same thing when DR9 asked what I would want him to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Z-berger: what you described is what you'd do if given the chance to consciously make a choice. I respect your decision there and it sounds like you've given thought into this and wouldn't be doing wrong by your wife too. The point of this thread, however, is around your subconscious. Do you think your subconscious would act inherently the way you'd want it to based on what you would do if given the choice? My point is that I would certainly consider the repercussions of my actions if I had time to. But if forced to react on the fly, I'm convinced that I couldn't predict how I'd react - and it many cases I would do the opposite of what I would do if given time to digest it.

    This has happened to me enough in my life that it's turned the tide on my opinion on this...which in some ways is maybe refreshing - that there's still some sort of uncertainty in my subconscious or something...

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I recall correctly, "in the moment" decisions are guided by our autonomic responses, controlled from the small, early part of the "proto" brain before we developed higher thought. Same with driving, or any other repetitive task we do- at some point, the "script" for how to perform is passed to the fast-responding, but less conscious 'autonomic' response.

    I don't know if/how you could actually shape your morality used by your autonomic, "fight-or-flight" decision center, nor perhaps should you have great access- we want a small, static set of rules to allow us to react quickly at life-or-death moments.

    You're reporting good results from your existing autonomic decision tree in general- and it sounds like, even at your pre-conscious level, you chose the kinder path.

    So... you're reflexively kind. Literally.

    Regards,
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matt-

    Are you saying that the part of my brain that is used to make the in the moment decision has been developed long ago and doesn't change over time? I'm really fascinated by this topic - I wonder if the choices I make now and going forward have an affect on how I'd react in those moments or if there's any way to predict it. Is that small set of rules that we rely on in those moments truly "static" or does it change over time as we get older, wiser and have more situations that provide input? I honestly think each moment is treated completely independently and my brain will react instantly in "a way". I actually wonder if the same moment occurred again if it might act in "a different way" the second time around because of how the first one turned out. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You didn’t knock him to the ground because subconsciously you decided you cared more about the well being of someone than making a play within a game. Yes, a game, a recreation, a sport, a source of fun.

    I believe the decisions we make in the “Blink” of an eye are determined by our life experiences, past history, upbringing and ultimately our internal morality measuring stick. I would guess you have made many similar decisions before that have made you who you are today. You are a guy many people love, trust and admire. If a few of those decisions had gone the other way, who knows what your life would be like today and who you would be surrounded by.

    Killer instinct? Think of the phrase. Would you kill? I know it’s just a phrase but break the phrase down and you would be more comfortable questioning if you have it or not.

    I don’t consider myself the ultimate judge of my “correctness” I rely on those around me to observe, review and give me feedback. I chose them to be in my inner circle because I judge them to be good people. I let them be my gauge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's the Wikipedia link on Autonomic Nervous System in the brain, look at 'Sympathetic Nervous System' for the fight-or-flight stuff.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomic_Nervous_System

    If I recall my college Physio class, of course the rules grow/change over time based on experience.... that's how we learn and adapt to a chaotic environment.... this part of the brain developed first, and is thought to be pre-conscious, though repetitive routines eventually get stuffed down there... things like driving and fight-or-flight responses....

    And no, I don't agree that events are handled independently.... our brains fallback to stored 'scripts', weighted by success from past use, and guided by situations that seem similar... subjective choices made by a pre-conscious part of the brain.... very tricky to "teach" anything.

    Hope I answered your question... I won't swear on this stuff so much as share my recollections....

    "Matt"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not entirely on topic (probably more appropriate for another upcoming post I would venture to bet) but there is a top-notch set of one-hour video programs called "Ethics In America"

    http://www.learner.org/resources/series81.html

    It's a bit old, having been produced in 1989 but still fascinating and relevant and would generate great discussion. I would love to watch this with you and then spend an hour in conversation.

    Also, a follow-up series seems to have been made in 2007: http://www.learner.org/resources/series207.html

    But little I've seen of the original is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chris you know me, I am certainly not a violent person. I would never do something in a touch football game with the intention of hurting someone unless they do something to me with similar intentions. However faced with that situation i would knock the guy down. Not because i want to or i get some sort of thrill of putting someone on their ass its what every coach ive ever had told me what to do. A guy leaves his feet you get his hands down so he doesnt knock the pass down. I dont even think about it its just a reaction that has been taught to me and one ive practiced doing. It comes just as natural to me as the first step i take when the ball is snapped. But you raise many interesting points, you can think about what u would do in situations but until your faced with it you will never know what ure going to do

    ReplyDelete