Saturday, May 28, 2011

Beaching for the stars

Alright so I'm at the beach. Not right at this moment but that's the way we say it when we go down the shore for a weekend. But yesterday as i sat physically on the sand and looked out over the ocean, smelled the salt water and felt the breeze, my mind felt extreme relaxation and then began to fill with thoughts.

What I pondered is this: every time I come to this specific beach on Memorial Day (which I do every year), I get an extreme sense of calm - a peace - I find myself free of the chain that seem around my neck with work and other stresses in my daily life. I'll make thus very clear: this place is unbelievably special to me. So much so that I know I have to retire here one day, at least partially.

But this got me thinking what was so special about this place to me and that's where my crazy mind took over and the fun began. Some thoughts/reasons:

1. The place itself is calming. Not a lot of crazy noise, just the sound of the ocean waves really. Sand is soothing on your feet, the water is cool.
2. I've had great memories here. Being here reminds me of those things and the nostalgia unlocks emotional feelings from my past as current feelings.
3. I associate this place in my head as a getaway place. I've built it up before I even get here as a place of serenity, where I can relax and be soothed. The more I need it, given the state of my work and life, the heavier weight it takes on and perhaps the more likely it is to provide that sense of peace.
4. It represents key things in my life that I feel connected to and must have. It represents a dream - one that my parents talked about throughout their lifetime but never pursued. So it becomes even more connected to me because it then gets tied to dreams and goals and measurement against that pursuit.
5. It represents success. All the big financial brokers and millionaires bought 2nd homes down here years ago. Beautiful homes. And when you drive down you cant help but notice their BMWs in the parking lots and lavish accommodations. So maybe it's a little jealousy or maybe it pulls at me because I'm such a driven person with so much ambition.

So when I look across all of these things, I start to wonder even deeper things- is it this beach or any beach? Am I connected to this place in ways spiritually or meta-physically that others simply are not? Does this unlock memories, provoke dreams, and change the state of my brain so much when I am here more than when I just think of it? Yes yes and yes!

Theres so much more at play here than simple senses. I know that for sure but as you tell I haven't figured all of this out yet.

I thought I'd share some thoughts along my journey this weekend, and I encourage you to comment on this post and share your thoughts - tell me if you have similar places and why you think you are attached to them in ways unlike other people.

1 comment:

  1. For me its not a place but people. I travel to be with people. I relax when I'm with people. Then again I'm an extrovert.

    ReplyDelete