Sunday, April 17, 2011

Customer dis-Service

Customer service. Amazing to me how hard it seems for companies to grasp how critical this is. It is the single biggest reason we come back to a store, a website or buy a product or service. It's also the single biggest reason we leave. Our loyalty is tied directly to the hip to exceptional focus on customer and the service we get. We don't want automated call center systems with robotic voices designed to save them money. We don't want to wait in a queue for what seems like an eternity to get them to fix something they screwed up. We don't want excuses about how it's a system problem or that they can't fix it without transferring us to another person or department.

Cheaper prices don't make up for lackluster service. We look at competitors with cheaper prices, but we leave because of the lack of customer service and support. The top loyalty or membership companies retain and grow their customer base by putting them first. Build systems and processes to make life easier for members, not for the bottom line via cost cutting.

"I'm so sorry sir to have made this difficult for you. I sincerely apologize. We are so priveliged to have your business and want to do everything we can to maintain the highest level of support and confidence in us. I will go ahead and take care of this right away (no questions asked).". When's the last time you felt that reassured that they had your back? Vs. struggling like hell to talk to a real person and then feeling like you are repeating yourself to try to get them to even understand the problem that they created in the first place? And confidence that they will resolve it quickly? That it won't happen again? I've talked to so many agents, clerks or salesman that come across like they really just don't care. How does that work? I'm the customer!

It shocks me that companies don't understand this and invest in this. They seem to spend more time and money after the fact trying to lure customers back with calls, emails and direct mail campaigns promising new deals, better offers and more value - but the same crappy service that drove you away stains every message, every campaign.

It's been so painful to find a company with a real "customer-first" approach that when I do, I'm that much more loyal. I'm attracted to these companies, and when I find them, I'm even willing to pay more to stick around. And I do stick around, for years - maybe my lifetime. I don't think I'm alone on this. Just funny how few companies are paying attention...

No comments:

Post a Comment